Monday, June 17, 2013

Tribute to the Man of My Dreams

I don't even know how to begin to explain the love that I have for my husband. Despite all of our weaknesses, all of our 'bad moments' and all of our faults, he is absolutely perfect for me.  Ever since I first met him, I knew he would be my children's father, I knew I would grow old with him, I knew he'd be there through all of my challenges and accomplishments, I knew I would love him through the eternities. Believe it or not, that really scared me. Being so vulnerable as to admit that you were completely happy, giving someone else that much power to possibly hurt you. That's where trust comes into play, and making promises and covenants that ensure that you will stay happy, stay in love, and be faithful. Rob and I had the "talk" only a week after we started dating. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought I would ever let something move that quickly, but it did, and I knew there was no point in slowing it down because the end story would be the same. I loved that boy, and I knew I was going to be with him forever.
Having a child changes a marriage in so many different ways. The first time you hold your child and realize "oh my gosh, we did this. Just us two, we created this perfect little miracle." With Gods help of course. It's the first time you realize that if something ever happened to your husband, it would be harder then you had originally thought, because not only would you lose your other half, your child would lose a father. You never really look at your husband the same once he first holds that child. You see all the responsibility in his eyes, the fear, the excitement, all of it, and you see him grow. Watching him play with your child everyday when he gets off work, no matter how hard the day was or how exhausted he is, your love for him deepens. The moments when the baby is crying in the middle of the night, and your thinking that if you get up you'll burst into tears too just from pure exhaustion and he leans over and says "it's ok, go back to sleep, I got this one" ...and then you end up crying anyways because you're so thankful for an understanding and patient husband.
Kids change a marriage in different ways too. Exhaustion kicks in. You realize it is literally impossible to be spontaneous when there is a child involved; things have to be packed, they have to be planned. A routine sets in, and you realize that you're not the crazy in love newly weds that you were, but it's not a bad thing. The love has matured. It's grown, it has enveloped another person into it. Yes, you realize that showing and giving your love takes maybe just a tiny bit more effort, or a bit more planning, but being able to do that blesses both of you beyond belief.
Watching my husband become a daddy is one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had the privilege of witnessing. We have both changed, grown, matured a little bit from the experience, but it has bonded us in a way that I didn't know was possible. I am so thankful for my husband. For the example that he is to my child. He is so much more than I ever could have asked for, and I still can't believe that he is really mine some days. I'm thankful for the promises that we have made to each other. For all the things that he has already done for this family. He is my rock, my sanity, my escape, and my best friend. I am so thankful for the knowledge that I have that our children will get to be raised in a full family. Both mommy, and daddy, there the whole time. Never wavering, never questioning that. I am so thankful that.
I love you Robin Dickson. Thank you for being my miracle. For making my dreams come true, and for making new dreams with me. Thank you for these last 2.5 years that I have had the privilege of being a part of your life. I love you babe. It's a forever kind of thing :)



1 comment: