Thursday, June 21, 2012

Menu planning


Alright so this post is 100% for accountability. I figure if I post it for all to see, I have to stick with it right?! That’s the hope at least.

My greatest woe of life since Rob and I have gotten married is trying to come up with dinners. Stupid right? Yeah, it really is, but here’s why. I have VERY few meals that feed only 2 people. So I’ll cook up a huge 9x13 of enchiladas (which we both love) and a week later we’re cursing the very thought of enchiladas as we are still gagging them down trying to finish eating them before they go bad. It drives me crazy! I feel like I really can’t cook a legit meal more than twice a week, because the leftovers are just beyond overwhelming. So I have come up with a brilliant solution. I’m sure I’ll say this and all of you will go “…well duh. It took you over a year to come up with this idea?” Yes it did. Don’t judge, I might be slow, but I do get there eventually.
Ready? …freezing meals. Yes, that is my brilliant solution! After doing some research and having my mother spend forever convincing me, I’ve decided it is ok to do, and works great! So here’s the plan. I figure I need to come up with dinners for 6 nights a week. 1 day a week we are usually off doing something, rather that’s going out with friends, eating with family or whatever…I’m only usually responsible for 6 a week. So the goal is to cook only 3 meals a week. We’ll eat a regular helping, and freeze everything that’s left into servings of 2. Then the other 3 nights a week we have a variety of leftovers we can choose from. That way we’re not eating leftovers every single day, but we’re still keeping up on the freezer so they don’t get freezer burn from sitting there to long.
One of my favorite parts about this plan is if I stick with it, we’ll have a good healthy storage built up by the time Weston gets here.  That way when I’m having those ‘super fan days’ that I keep here about where I’m beyond exhausted and grouchy and the thought of getting up to do anything makes me want to cry, let alone cook a meal, I can just pull something out of the freezer and toss it into the microwave! Again, I’m pretty sure this plan is brilliant : ) I started 2 days ago, and thus far it is going perfectly! Last night I made Chicken and Broccoli Casserole, which is kind of my favorite ever! What did I make my mom make for my birthday every single year for well over 10 years? Chicken and Broccoli Casserole. The recipe I have isn’t as intense as my moms, but it’s almost as good, and still satisfies the craving : ) Here’s the recipe in case any of you want to experience heaven : ) 

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

1 pkg. stove top stuffing
1 ½ lbs chicken breast
1 can cream of chicken soup
                                                    1/3 cup sour cream
                                              1 bag frozen broccoli, thawed


Prepare stuffing mix according to box.
Cook chicken, mix with soup, sour cream, and broccoli. Pour into a greased 9X13, top with
stuffing.
Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes, until warmed through.

This is what it looked like reheated the next day, tasted just as yummylicious as the first night :)




1 comment:

  1. I love being able to pull a meal out of a hat, (or freezer). Your Chicken Broccoli Casserole sounds great. We loved that growing up. My mom used rice instead of stuffing, it's fun to see different varieties. You'll be so glad you have a freezer full of meals the last few weeks your pregnant and when Weston comes! Can't wait to see you in a few months.

    ReplyDelete